Baccarat is a simple game that requires very little skill or judgement to play. Once your bet is placed at the start of the game you just wait for the outcome – no more decisions to be made. Baccarat is historically a casinos high stakes game – and you might find that some of the online casinos have a high limit baccarat for those of you daring enough to tackle some high stakes gaming.
The rules of the game are simple..
- It is usually played with eight decks of cards. Each numbered card less than ten is worth its face value, aces are worth 1, and tens and face cards are worth 0. The suit does not matter.
- Play begins by all players betting either on the ‘player’, ‘banker’, or a tie. Player, banker and tie are simply bet options and do not represent people playing the game. You place a bet on either option by simply placing your chips in the ‘player’, ‘banker’ or ‘tie’ boxes on the table.
- After all bets are down 2 cards are dealt to both the player and the banker. The score of the hand is the right digit of the total of the cards. For example if the two cards were an 4 and 7, then the total would be 11, and the score would be a 1. The scores will always range from 0 to 9 – it is impossible to bust.
- A third card may or may not be dealt to either or both the player and the banker depending on the following rules:If either the player or the banker has a total of an 8 or a 9 they both stand. This rule overrides all other rules.If the player’s total is 5 or less then the player hits, otherwise the player stands.If the player stands, then the banker hits on a total of 5 or less. If the player does hit then use the chart below to determine if the banker hits (H) or stands (S).
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
7 S S S S S S S S S S 6 S S S S S S H H S S 5 S S S S H H H H S S 4 S S H H H H H H S S 3 H H H H H H H H S H 2 H H H H H H H H H H 1 H H H H H H H H H H 0 H H H H H H H H H H
- The banker and player hands are then compared and the highest wins. Winning bets on the banker pay 19 to 20 (even money less 5% house commission), winning bets on the player pay even money. Winning bets on a tie usually pay 8 to 1.
House edges for Baccarat make it an attractive option, with the house taking just over 1% for banker and player bets. The tie bet is not a good option, with the casino taking around 14% on this bet.
Other than avoiding tie bets, you probably guessed that there are no baccarat strategies.